Friday, September 4, 2009

Check out the Pulse

Jeez ... you set up a blog to communicate ... and I haven't been communicating at all. Sorry for the long wait between posts, but I have excuses.

I've been painting quite a bit, and as my friend-and-fellow-artist Alan Folger likes to say, "I've been doing some research." A lot of research, actually. The unseasonably-cool summer has been filled with fishing exploits -- some good, some not-so-good -- and I've probably spent more time on the water than I have in front of my watercolor palette.













The research has been productive however, as the fishing has inspired some new artwork, including a two-months-in-the-making brook trout painting that involves 17 fish in a 12 x 16 piece of work. The detail was considerable, but the small strokes and constant brush-cleaning were worth the tedious effort. I'm very happy with the painting and plan to reveal it soon ... most probably, at the upcoming Greenway Arts Festival in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

This festival is a one-day deal and it's one of my favorite events in which to participate. For one, it's a very relaxed, informal festival, set on the banks of the historic Stones River in the heart of the Civil War town of Murfreesboro. Secondly, it's held in my hometown, just a few miles from my house. The event is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 19, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Thompson Lane Trailhead on the city's fantastic greenway system. This year, I'm planning on showcasing -- and hopefully selling -- more original artwork than I've shown in the past. The limited-edition giclee prints will certainly be offered as well, but I've got some new original pieces that only Betsy and myself have seen. Please stop on by, visit my tent and the tents of the other artists and crafts people in attendance and make the most of this unique festival.

Recently, I was pleasantly surprised to be contacted by the Murfreesboro Pulse newspaper to be the subject of a feature article. Bill Swart, the author of the piece, did a really nice job with the article, titled The Art of Fishing (hey!). He even mentioned my truck, which instantly rocketed the article to my favorite of all time (I love my truck, almost as much as I love my wife, who Bill also mentioned ... but second in the series behind the truck). I'm very thankful for the opportunity to be featured by the Pulse, and I'm also happy to get to know Bill, who is beginning what is hopefully a long and successful career in journalism.



No comments: